06 July, 2017

Channeling Poe

What's an English class in high school without studying the infamous American writer, Edgar Allen Poe?  After the class read and critiqued Poe's last complete poem "Annabel Lee," we were instructed to compose our own edition.


Annabel Lee

We were both young
So young and so in love
That growing up never seem
Worth thinking of

I loved her with a passion
A passion that couldn't be denied
Was this the reason why
She had to leave me so

She left me standing
All alone
My heart filling full of doubts
And no home


Apparently at sixteen years of age, I mostly thought that poems were written to sound like an 80s pop song.  Not until many years later that I grew more comfortable in my own skin that I then became more comfortable with the words and rhythm of poetry.

No comments:

Post a Comment