05 July, 2017

Assignment: Write a Bio Poem

It's kind of weird to be back on this page.  I noticed from my last post that it has been a few years.  One of my younger cousins brought me back here - not directly.  A few months ago, we were chatting about her writing discipline (or lack of rather) when she casually asked me about my own writings.  I don't know... I just stopped writing.  The more I thought about it, I realised it has been about fifteen years ago since I last wrote.  Does time really travel that fast?  Yes, why, yes it does!  Incredible.  I remembered my collection of writings stored in my hometown and told my cousin that I would retrieve it for her.  I did just that this past weekend - but just the first step.  I only managed to grab a three inch thick binder full of poems.  The other stories that remain in boxes will have to wait.

What I believe to be my first poem ever written was an assignment in high school.  The instructions were really simple and corny.

Just follow the formula below:
Line 1:  Your first name only
Line 2:  Four adjectives that describe you
Line 3:  Sibling of, or son/daughter of
Line 4:  Lover of ... (3 things, people or ideas)
Line 5:  Who feels ... (3 items)
Line 6:  Who fears... (3 items)
Line 7:  Who would like to see... (3 items)
Line 8:  Resident of (you city and street or road)
Line 9:  You last name only

So here's how mine's turned out...

shelly
creative, fun, shy and moody
sister of may
lover of pizza, all kinds of music, all kinds of b&w movies
who feels bored to death when I don't have anything to do, frustrated when I have to think too hard, angry when people smoke in elevators or closed-in places
who fears getting sick, jumping off a cliff or a tall building and dying
who would like to see my future before it occurs, other countries besides Europe (not counting Italy), all people in the world at peace with each other
resident of wahiawa
bonoan

In a way, I haven't changed much from my teenage views.  But, it's also comforting to me knowing that I have grown.  I have decades worth of these writings to sort through, some I know are cringe-worthy, however, I'll share as I go along.

No comments:

Post a Comment